Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sabbatical Half-Time Report


So... we have been in New Zealand for over 2 months now... our sabbatical is more than half over. Time to take a half-time break and reflect.....

I'm not sure what most people think of when they hear "sabbatical". There are a few different definitions, but essentially it is used as a time to get away and try something new. Most people think of it as a luxury, and obviously since I have been able to hike around here in New Zealand I can certainly appreciate that. But I do want to point out that nothing comes for free and we have worked pretty hard in order to get here (and being here isn't all cushy either).

This is actually my husband's second sabbatical. The first one was spent mostly at home though, and he learned that it is tough to get away when you are still in town... it really was not a sabbatical. This time around we decided we'd better get as far away as possible, hence New Zealand. Of course only a year before the sabbatical, the business I worked at went for sale (with the threat of closing down if no one bought it), so I bought it... exponentially adding to my responsibilities. Even though I had a year to prepare, it really was a pretty overwhelming transition. If it wasn't for the internet, I would not have been able to come on this sabbatical because I still have so many responsibilities at home. Bruce, as well, still has students at Purdue that he is working with and he has weekly conference calls to attend to. And of course bills still need to be paid at home.... so really we are almost living a double life.

The "double life" thing is really sort of a feeling of keeping track of 2 lives at once. My computer has 2 clocks - 1 set to my time here, and 1 set to my time back home in Indiana. My brain is constantly trying to keep track of both. The time change is pretty great, and rather surreal because we are 17 hours ahead (it recently changed when Indiana "sprang forward", and it will change again once we "fall back" soon). At any rate, it is a day ahead here, and that is pretty funky. But it keeps life interesting. It will be interesting again when time stands still for awhile while we fly back home in May......

So we are living in Christchurch, New Zealand. We are living in the city - on the edge of the downtown area - but the city isn't huge and the beach is 15 minutes away, and mountains not much farther. The climate is fantastic. We have a short-term rental in an upstairs flat of an old house. Our carpet is really old and very much like the fake-grass carpet at a mini-golf place, our appliances are old and small, and we are still living out of suitcases (although we did rent some furniture). We have just 4 small plates, 4 bowls, 4 glasses, and silverware, and we hand-wash all our dishes. We do have a clothes washer, but we hang our clothes to dry. And we do not have a car (I wrote about transportation earlier). I have a much greater appreciation for conveniences that I miss now, but I also realize that some things really aren't necessary... it is good to experience.

The kids are going to school here, and they are almost to the end of their school term. I think it has been a really great experience for them. Both kids wear uniforms to school here, and it isn't too bad. The worst problem we've had is Lex's shoes, and cold legs on some mornings (she has to wear a dress). But both kids have made some good friends and I think they have really enjoyed it. I think they will need to do some math this summer to make sure they are caught up with their schools at home, but I know they'll be fine.

My goals have been mostly to catch up on some of my business work (mostly financial stuff), get back into an exercise routine (the past year I really slacked off), and get outside as much as possible. For the most part I am succeeding. I am happiest when I am out hiking amongst the Eucalyptus trees.... with a refreshing wind blowing and the ocean in the distance..... heaven. I had also hoped to do more writing, but that has been more sporadic. But that's okay. It does take more time to do laundry and dishes and cooking too. And of course walking everywhere takes more time. I love it though.

A little over a week ago we went to Kaikoura and did a whale watch cruise. We were lucky to see 2 sperm whales and hundreds of dolphins. I cannot even begin to express the profound feelings I had...there just aren't the proper words, and to try to use words to describe it just doesn't do it justice. Just...wow. It was definitely one of the best experiences of my life, and it was really not that exciting - just really profound. That's really all I can say.


A lot of my daily pleasure comes from my walks to and from Lex's school. She is attending Avonside Girls High School, and like the name says it is on the side of the Avon River. The river is really like a creek, but it is a nice one, and I walk along it and watch the ducks and black swans. Again, there is often the smell of eucalyptus and even though I am in the city, the flowers and plants are an oasis. I am reminded of the importance of having an oasis to go to in our daily lives, and I am thankful that I can provide that to others at home. I am looking forward to cultivating that more when I get back.

Other fun experiences we have had include an actually exciting Cricket match (go figure!). We were able to attend a Twenty20 match between NZ and Australia in which NZ was able to pull off an exciting win in overtime. Apparently excitement like that is fairly rare in a cricket match so I feel pretty lucky. We also were able to attend a Rugby match that was exciting as well. We've also attended some concerts - both outdoor and in - and of course museums and such. But by far my favorite things are hiking and seeing the various animals out in the wild. In addition to the whales and dolphins and ducks, we have also been rather close to seals and albatross. They really are beautiful animals.

So that is my half-time report. I miss my home and friends, but this really is a tremendous experience. I have been able to reflect on what is most important to me and make plans for carrying that with me when I return. I think that for the kids the experience was even more valuable and I am so thankful that we were able to give them this opportunity. We've all had our ups and downs but reflecting on it really puts things in perspective.

Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to read this! Your spirit sounds like it has been uplifted and I think it is so fantastic you are making sure that you are aware of how incredible this experience is for you and your family!

    Your strength still impresses me, time after time. : )

    ReplyDelete