Sunday, July 26, 2009

The River

























I grew up not too far away from the Mississippi River. It was probably about 2-3 miles away from my house and I'd ride my bike there and skip and collect rocks and just think. I don't know how old I was when I started going there, but it was one of my favorite escapes.

I went back to my favorite spot when I was back in Minneapolis and took some pictures. The graffiti on the bridge is different, but other than that, much is the same.

I remember my mom telling me not to swim in the river because giant fish at the bottom could swallow me whole. Besides the water was pretty icky and I really had no desire to swim in it. I went there to be alone and to think. There still is nothing quite like a body of water and solitude to give me peace.

I suppose that being the youngest kid in my family made me want to get away on my own once in awhile. It seems that I was always doing what other people told me to do, and I think that I have always wanted some independence and cautious adventure. It seems that wherever I live now I need to find a place that I can go and be by myself and think and just "be".

So this was my spot when I was a kid.... it was pretty cool to see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment